Thursday, 25 August 2016

Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler


Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler
Published by Knopf on the 12th March 1982. A finalist for the Pulitzer Prize, the American National Book Awards and the Pen/Faulkner Award.

Where to buy this book:
Buy the book from Amazon.com / Amazon.co.uk
Buy the paperback from Speedyhen
Buy the paperback from The Book Depository
Buy the paperback from Waterstones

How I got this book:
Purchased from a charity shop

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I picked up two Anne Tyler paperbacks at Age UK in Stokesley, Yorkshire, as part of a three for 99p promotion. I've read a few Anne Tyler before and found her work ranged from pretty good to fabulous and I am pleased to say that I think Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant is one of her fabulous novels!

Set in Baltimore, Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant begins with elderly Pearl remembering her life and family. Initially I felt sorry for her. She was abandoned by her husband and left with three children to raise alone while holding down a job in order to finance her family. However, as we learn more about the past, I began to see that nothing is clear cut at all. I loved how Tyler portrays a non-maternal mother. Pearl loves her children more than anything, but she is not the cope-with-anything mother figure that many novels like to portray. This is a woman struggling to succeed and making mistakes along the way. As her children, Cody, Ezra and Jenny, grow up and move away, the family fragments still further and it was interesting to see how the next generation viewed their grandmother too.

I have given this novel five stars because I was engrossed from start to finish. I didn't particularly like most of the characters, but I loved how realistically they have been created and Tyler's deep understanding of the dynamics of family relationships. A great read!


Search Lit Flits for more:
Books by Anne Tyler / Contemporary fiction / Books from America

4 comments:

  1. I recently read her latest contribution to Hogarth Shakespeare (The Vinegar Girl) and have enjoyed it immensely. Sadly, I don't know any of her older works. I'm glad you loved this enough to give it 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved several Anne Tyler novels and would urge you to give her back catalogue a try. An Amateur Marriage and Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant are fab too!

      Delete
  2. I love Anne Tyler's books,some more than others, but I thought I had read this one. But what I had done instead was see a Made for TV adaptation at one point. Now I must read it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there had been a TV version. I must look out for it!

      Delete