Thursday, 19 January 2017

Guest Review: Dying For A Living by Kory M Shrum + Free book


Dying For A Living by Kory M Shrum
Published by Timberlane Press in March 2014.

Where to buy this book:
Download the ebook free from Amazon.com / Amazon.co.uk
Buy from independent booksellers via Abebooks
Buy from independent booksellers via Alibris
Buy the paperback from The Book Depository

Guest review by Olivia-Savannah
Olivia's Catastrophe is one of my absolute favourite blogs - a mix of book reviews and inspiring lifestyle posts - so I was especially delighted when Olivia herself agreed to share a book review on Literary Flits. She's chosen an unusual fantasy tale and I defy anyone to not get caught up in her enthusiasm!

Olivia's rating: 5 of 5 stars

On the morning before her 67th death, it is business as usual for Jesse Sullivan: meet with the mortician, counsel soon-to-be-dead clients, and have coffee while reading the latest regeneration theory. Jesse dies for a living, literally. As a Necronite, she is one of the population's rare 2% who can serve as a death replacement agent, dying so others don't have to. Although each death is different, the result is the same: a life is saved, and Jesse resurrects days later with sore muscles, new scars, and another hole in her memory.
But when Jesse is murdered and becomes the sole suspect in a federal investigation, more than her freedom and sanity are at stake. She must catch the killer herself--or die trying.

Olivia says: "YOU GUYS THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING GO READ IT RIGHT NOW

*ahem*

As I was going to say, I loved every single aspect of this book. Yes. It blew me away! It was something new for me because I have never read a book including zombies, so this was a new concept to me. But the way they were used here, and the whole idea of this book was just dripping originality. I have never read a book like this one before, which makes me love it all the more. On top of that, it was amazingly well written, funny and deserves a lot more publicity than it already has!

My favourite character had to be Jesse – she was strong, determined and sassy as well. You’ve all heard of those amazingly strong female characters so I am going to move on and mention my second favourite character. Lane. He was someone who puts up with Jesse’s mood swings, stands by her and can be equally cheeky too. I loved him!

There was a love triangle in this story, but it wasn’t the main focus of this book and did a good job of adding something to the story. What was also a twist to this love story was that one competitor was male, and the other female. Which was something I didn’t expect. #TeamLane

The plot was full of so many twists. Yes, some I was able to predict, but the general outcome of how those things worked in her favor or didn’t was something I was never able to guess ahead about. The plot had me so captivated I couldn’t put the book down!

Style and writing was perfect! Kory managed to build a new society with a few different laws and different clashes, and yet manages to explain them all without seeming info-dumpy or boring in any case. I just absolutely loved, loved, and LOVED this book.

I recommend this to all mature readers! There is some language in this book and brief sex scenes/mentions. It gets the big five stars from me!"


Thank you Olivia!

Do you have a book review that you would like to share on Literary Flits? Details of how to do so are Here. I look forward to hearing from you!


Search Lit Flits for more:
Books by Kory M Shrum / Fantasy / Books from America

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring me on your blog! I loved this book so much and really hope a lot of other readers can fall in love with it too <3 You're too sweet ^.^

    ReplyDelete