Sunday 24 February 2019

The Scent Of Blue Ink by Cristina-Monica Moldoveanu #FreeBook


The Scent Of Blue Ink by Cristina-Monica Moldoveanu
Self published in November 2015.

How I got this book:
Downloaded the ebook from Smashwords

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


A collection of poems, eclectic, written in the years 2013-2015 and translated into English by the author. You can find here sadness and melancholia with a dash of hope and a feeling of amazement in front of life's beauty or ugliness and disappointments. The poems are scattered with literary, religious and other cultural allusions.

I chose to download The Scent Of Blue Ink from Smashwords because of its Romanian authorship, and especially because Moldoveanu has translated her own poems so I was confident the English would reflect her original Romanian meaning. I tried to get into the book twice, but unfortunately struggled so much to understand most of the poems that I gave up. The English itself is good so I think the problem is that Moldoveanu alludes to many varied traditions and stories but without each poem identifying its subject or theme. It's a shame because there are stunning flashes of imagery, but I too frequently failed to understand what they related to.


Search Lit Flits for more:
Books by Cristina-Monica Monldoveanu / Poetry / Books from Romania

5 comments:

  1. Sadness and melancholia are my favorite vibes for poetry :) with a dash of hope and a feeling of amazement in front of life's beauty or ugliness and disappointments. The poems are scattered with literary, religious and other cultural allusions. Though rhyme is very important to me so that's why I never read translations. Sorry to hear you struggle with this one :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This collection was just too deep for me, but I can imagine other readers appreciating the work

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much Stephanie for your comment and appreciation of my ebook. I wrote poems since the end of 2006 so I waited for a dialogue with a reader or an opinion about my poems for 12 years. Here is my answer to your article:

    https://cristinamonicamoldoveanu.wordpress.com/2019/03/01/for-stephanie-jane/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cristina, thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed analysis of the creation of your poetry. I understood that you were coming from a very different place, culturally and emotionally, from myself which was why I failed to connect with your work. Please note I did not say you wrote bad poetry, only that I personally could not interpret enough to understand the themes. Perhaps adding this posted essay to the book as an introduction would be beneficial for future readers in that they could start with this knowledge?

      Delete
    2. Maybe I was a little confused, because, you know, there are many places on the net where they abuse privacy and create comments as if they were made by real users or readers, nonsense like this site for example - where I wrote nothing, nor you, nor anyone else.:
      http://www.download-books.live/show/book/27992548/the-scent-of-blue-ink/11956815/41fcb787/
      I answered to your kind comment on my wordpress blog - the link in my previous comment here.
      Have a nice day.

      Delete