Sunday 24 July 2016

Across The Silence by Caroline Gourlay & Sara Philpott


Across The Silence by Caroline Gourlay
Published in the UK in June 2015 by Five Seasons Press

Where to buy this book:
Buy from independent booksellers via Abebooks
Buy the hardback from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk

How I got this book:
Briefly borrowed from a friend

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I visited friend's house last week and noticed this beautiful book lying on a side table. It is a collection of haiku by Caroline Gourlay which is illustrated with stunning artwork by Sara Philpott. Being the curious reader I am, I started glancing through and was soon swept up in both the poetry and the illustrated plates. I liked that the chosen images complemented the haiku, but without specifically reproducing the poems' imagery so I could get separate impressions from each with a third meaning often being revealed by their combination. Both Gourlay and Philpott are, I believe, based in Wales and the idea of a rural Welsh landscape is strong within the work.

To give you an idea of Gourlay's haiku, this one was my favourite:

return journey
the child's coat still hanging
on the hedge

Examples of Sara Philpott's fabulous illustrations can be seen on her own website, www.saraphilpott.com


Search Lit Flits for more:
Books by Caroline Gourlay or Sara Philpott / Poetry / Books from England

No comments:

Post a Comment